Friday, April 29, 2016

When the soap maker messes up...


It's always interesting when something goes wrong during production of a product.



Yesterday afternoon I was working on restocking the Whipped Body Wash and decided to make a double batch since it was so popular last time... However, I was distracted and messed up somewhere. I spent hours trying to mix and stir and get it to the proper consistency, then spent two more hours troubleshooting with a soap making mentor of mine.

I sat there going through the steps in my head, trying to remember everything I did and while looking at my recipe realized, I didn't remember adding double the amount of one of the most important ingredients!




After speaking with my mentor about it, she said "It sounds like that's exactly what happened"... pulled out the package and sure enough, I had only removed half the amount I needed from the package!


Got everything all mixed together and let it rest overnight to cool down, and started whipping it all up this afternoon.


That presented it's own set of unique challenges... 


For instance... when I put all the soap mixture into the mixer it was continually trying to climb up and out of the bowl... even with the splash guard on!

Apparently my trusty old KitchenAid mixer can't handle mixing a double batch at one time, it's just not quite big enough!

After taking out about half of the mixture, I was able to whip things up a bit better! 


That's much better!

Long story short, I was able to save the day in the end, but boy did that stress me out haha...

I have a feeling I'll need to whip this one a few times during the "rot" because it gave me some trouble to start with, but I think in the end it will back down and I will come out on top :)

Added bonus... my hands are super soft from washing up after!  And check out those suds! Not bad for less than 24 hours old :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment