Sunday, April 17, 2016

Spring Cleaning and Thoughts on New Soapmakers

Recently I have been seeing some local businesses posting soaps from local soap makers... while I'm thrilled that more and more people are interested in using amazing natural and handmade products, and supporting small local businesses, I also want to caution against putting your trust in people who are too new to the craft.



I have to admit that it pains me to see some new soapmakers pop up and brag about making their very first batch of soap, EVER, and then turn around and have it up for sale... Those bars haven't been tested, finding a recipe online and using it is great, but without the experience of many many batches under your belt, you have no way to know if it's actually a GOOD recipe, and how well it's going to work. 

 Someone who has only been maybe 3 months from making their first batch of soap is not ready to be selling their soap. 3 months is barely long enough for a batch of soap to cure fully, let alone be tested by multiple people with different skin types to test for reactions and consistency. Please be sure you research the companies that are making your products before using them.

I do want to reassure you by pointing out that I began making soap way back in 2005 and I have been fine tuning my current recipe, testing and tweaking it until it got just the way I like it, since 2008, and it's an ongoing process! Each batch of my soaps are all tested by myself, my family and close friends, for consistency and quality.



And now that I've finished my rant, here's a bit about what I did today... In the first picture above, you can see that I've had to add onto my curing rack by  making a faux shelf, so that I have more room for more soaps! I freed up enough space on the shelf above for 2 more fragrances. I'll be working on restocking Rose Garden and then some custom made soaps for Jessica Michael Photography client welcome packages. Still trying to decide on what fragrance those will have, but it's sure to be an awesome combination!

On the top shelf, I was able to reuse some of the boxes my supplies have come in to keep my jars and packaging organized and easy to find :) Nothing like spending money on something and then not being able to find it when it's time to use it!

I'm always looking for ways to utilize the limited space we have! Share your favorite organizational tips in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment