Thursday, March 31, 2016

New Product: Oatmeal Clay Mask & Scrub

I don't know about you, but I know that being a dry skin sufferer, living in the sometimes frigid temperatures of Coastal Maine, my skin really takes a beating every year. I have naturally dry skin, and the fluctuating temperatures, paired with living in a home that is primarily heated with wood, definitely takes its toll on me.

I'll also admit to being chronically dehydrated from not drinking nearly enough water. Shame on me, that part is my own fault.





I've struggled for years to find a product that would help to sooth my skin, gently exfoliate, and just generally make my skin feel better. I've tried countless products in the past, and even though they always turned my face bright red, hot and made my skin feel stiff, clay masks were always a favorite.

I have wanted to formulate one myself for awhile, but wasn't sure where to start. I randomly purchased some bentonite clay and decided to try and make something with that one night when I was feeling bored and experimental. I mixed it with some various oils and tried it out and hated it. Never touched it again. Turns out I should have done some more research because Bentonite clay is extremely drying to skin and is best used in products for those with oily skin.

Recently I started doing more research into products other than soaps that I can include in my offerings, and learned more about the different types of clays and additives that are available and I created a plan that I couldn't wait to try out.


I don't have a picture of the first formulation I tried, but let's just say, I used way too much oatmeal and it looked like I was about 18 months old and feeding myself breakfast with a spoon for the first time lol.

After doing a bit more research and adjusting the recipe a bit, this picture was my result. I loved it. It went on mostly smooth (I probably should have mixed it just a bit more before applying but it wasn't problematic), it dried into the tight mask that I remember loving so much in the other products I had used, and when I rinsed it off with warm water and a washcloth, my skin was NOT red and hot to the touch, it was soft and smooth and even though it had a slight tight feeling to it, it did not feel DRY!

I did not apply a moisturizer after rinsing, because I know how my skin works and I wanted to see how dry it felt in the morning after just using the mask.

I was amazed. When I woke up, I even had my husband feel my face and he noticed the difference!

That said, I do recommend using a moisturizer to lock in moisture after you rinse (I prefer my Whipped Body Butter for my all over moisturizer currently!)


This clay mask comes in a jar, with a wooden scoop for easy measuring. It comes as a dry powder that you will mix with your favorite liquid (there are suggestions on the label, I used simple tap water just to give it a try, but some favorites that I've read about are herbal tea, milk and aloe! Pick one that sounds good to you!)


This product is currently in the testing phase and will be available on the site soon... and don't worry, if you have oily skin, I haven't forgotten about you! I'll be working on a Clay mask for you too very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment